Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things.. 






My goal this week was to snap a photo that showed just how beautiful this yarn is. It's Lake Josephine from Beaverslide Dry Goods and I just love it so much. Mom is pleased with the color selection for her sweater and commented many times that it had to be a new color because she didn't remember seeing it when she ordered yarn for her sweater two years ago (she's right -- they didn't have it listed then, tee hee). Unfortunately the sun is not in my favor right now. The pictures I snapped this morning were too dark, and my second attempt a few minutes ago brought a visitor that was insistent on me acknowledging her presence while I attempted to take a decent photo (Hello Jessica). I guess that makes sense seeing as she has claimed this chair as her own. Sigh. When the sweater is finished I will definitely be taking it outside (hopefully on a clear day!) for its own photo shoot.

I'm using the Bedford sweater pattern for Mom's sweater. After my initial mistakes at the beginning (the right twist), I am thoroughly enjoying this simple pattern. I had a goal for this week that I would knit four rows a day (about 1000 stitches). I figured it was an easy enough goal that I could meet daily while balancing work and family and all that goes with both of those. Well, it is Wednesday, and I have knitted two rows since Monday morning. Oops. I'm going to try and get back on to my daily goal today and make up for it over the weekend with some marathon knitting.

I have been reading a lot of recipes as of late from Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1). I love Julia Child. I loved the movie Julie & Julia (so does Chase). I asked for this cookbook at Christmas because there are so many recipes that seem so uncomplicated but beautiful once prepared. Once I prepare my first meal from her cookbook, I'll report back on the outcome.

Today will be a longer day at work. The semester starts on Monday and we are approaching zero hour for students. Steve is also heading toward the UP for the next four days for work so if I'm not at work, I'll be shuffling Chase to and from Karen & George's and home, school, Scouts.. It never ends!

Have a beautiful Wednesday, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I've never bought yarn from beaverslide dry good, but I keep hearing wonderful things.....do I need to try some??? (go ahead---be an enabler, it's OK!!!!)

    can't wait to see what you make from your cookbook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph.. you need to try Beaverslide yarn. It is absolutely amazing! I would love to get my hands on some of their sock yarn because my sweaters are so toasty.. I would love toasty toes!

      Delete
  2. I made a Bedford last year and love it. It is very snuggly, and I think your mom will love it too. I adore beaverslide. I made E's sweater last year from some. And Julia is fantastic. I adore her life story and her marriage. Do tell how the food turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes! I chose the pattern because of yours! :)

      My Julia cooking has been postponed because Steve keeps getting sent out of town on work. Oh well.. maybe next week.

      Delete
  3. it's a wonderful photo that does show the color emily, i do love beaverslide so much the owner and i are now friends :)
    and i LOVE all things julia too, have fun cooking and knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely happy just cooking and knitting. :)

      I've been emailing back and forth with the owner of Beaverslide, too, she is so helpful!

      Delete
  4. I need to get some of this yarn!!! Love the color you chose and I bet anything you make your mom she would love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have drooled over Beaverside yarn for awhile and would love to order some to knit a project.
    I think the color shows through just fine, it's beautiful.

    I am a huge fan of Julie and Julia too, such a cute movie.
    My daugher is a culinary arts teacher and she is the one who introduced the movie to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also need to try their yarn, Tracey. You won't regret it, I promise.

      I forgot your daughter taught culinary arts! Does she enjoy it?

      Delete
  6. I just realized I didn't comment in a long time - I don't know why...I do read your posts quite often and I always think about commenting and then something happens and I never do... but hey I'm back! :D
    the yarn looks awesome! I promised myself I won't buy more yarn until I use up my stash but I might have to break that promise :)
    and what a cute cat you have there! I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessie is my yarn kitty! She can sniff yarn out of my best hiding spots. ;)

      You're a busy gal, I understand! :)

      Delete