Wednesday, May 22, 2013

These busy days

I have once again neglected my spot in the blogosphere and I feel guilty for doing so. I have been reading (and commenting) as usual, but my own writing has fallen to the wayside. Journaling in general has taken a back seat to recent activities (I realized last week that it had been a month since I updated Chase’s journal…oops). Part of it is because I have been busy with end of semester dealings, part of it has to do with things being busy at work, and another part is that I felt I didn’t have much to share and therefore I just didn’t write at all. Steve has been spending most of his time out of town with work so after I get home from work, and from picking up Chase, I usually found myself grabbing a quick dinner and settling in to knit (there is always room for knitting) and watch TV.
Now that things have quieted down (somewhat), I am hoping I can get back on a somewhat regular blogging schedule. I knew back in the middle of March when I came down with bronchitis that I would be heading into a busy spring (of course these are the things one thinks about when they’re sick instead of, you know, getting better).
In April I was hoping to have all of my classwork for the semester done by the time we went to Traverse City, Michigan for the annual spring barbershop convention. One class was complete, but leading up to the day we left for Traverse City, I still had to wait to finish a class (turns out the final wasn’t available until the first week in May, so I was far ahead of the game).
Spring convention was an eye-opening experience for all the choruses who went. Steve’s chorus came in 5th this year; a disappointing blow to their cumulative egos especially considering they had been coached for months beforehand (to be fair all of the performing choruses scored worse this year than the past year by roughly 3 points each – I think it’s because there were two new judges). But it seems that they are going to pick themselves up by the boot strings, dust off their keisters, and work harder for next year.
Traverse City was a wonderful experience for me. I’ve never been before and I was looking forward to seeing this part of Michigan. I had already researched a coffee house and a yarn shop (priorities!) and was not disappointed by either. It actually snowed our first night there. When we left on Sunday to come home, Steve took me out to where the cherry orchards were and I got to see all those lovely trees. I’d love to go back again during their cherry festival and see everything in bloom.
The first weekend of May brought with it one of my dreams coming true: It was Bee Day! I'll write more about beekeeping and the adventures/mishaps we have had since that day in another post.
Mother’s Day weekend I went to WWOW again with Dale. She and I had an excellent time together. The weather was chilly (we had frost Sunday morning and Monday morning!), but overall it didn’t put a freeze on our good spirits. We’re both hoping to go back again next year with my Mom with us.
I think what was so different about the beginning of May was that Mom was not here for our birthday. This is the first time in many years that she has not been here, but don't fret, it was for a good reason. Mom opted to come in after Mother's Day to be here for my graduation. She just went back to Indiana today and I miss her terribly. This visit didn't seem like it was very long, and the fact that for two days there was lots of activity and family gathered, I think it felt even shorter.

Graduation. Technically I graduated and received my degree back in December. The school only walks students once a year so this was a delayed celebration. Up until the night before, I honestly was more excited about it being two weeks since the bees arrived compared to walking (I really will get that post up!). Maybe it was because I had earned my degree already so I wasn’t stressed to the end of finals hoping to pass. I’m not sure, but I only had a slight flitter of a butterfly as we were finally entering the stadium and from that moment on, I spent my time smiling and enjoying the day. My brother, Adam, and his girlfriend Candace, actually came up from Indiana to watch me graduate. Dad and Fara came from DE, of course. Add in Steve, Chase, Mom, and Steve’s parents and I had quite the cheering section. One of my co-workers also was graduating so we sat together and cheered for each other. It was nice to have a familiar face in a sea of graduates! My brother and his girlfriend and Dad and Fara all went home Sunday afternoon. 
When did Chase get so tall??

While Mom was here I took a day off from work so we could go to my newest favorite yarn shop in Plymouth, MI and also visit the farmers’ market that is held on our street. Unfortunately my work hours will prevent me from visiting the market this summer, so I wanted to get a visit in and see the new vendors while I could. I will probably need to take some time off later in the summer so I can see all of the fruits and veggies that come in to season!

Of course while Mom was here we spent much time knitting and sipping coffee at the local spot. She is busy working on my Christmas sweater and I am working on a cowl for myself (I’ll share more info on the Yarn Along post). Mom also decided to put her Cajun cookbook we gave her for Christmas to good use and ordered in crawfish to make etouffee. Chase was hopeful to rescue one of the crawfish from the boiling pot and keep it as a pet in his aquarium, but sadly the crawfish did not live for more than a day. I also learned out that I have apparently developed an allergy to shellfish. I find this extremely disappointing as I do enjoy shrimp (and this is something I am going to have to remember for the future). 




And now the house is quiet again. Steve had to head out of town for work on Sunday, but is due back in tonight and is working locally for the rest of the week. Chase has been keeping himself busy with Scouts and end of the school year activities. Hard to believe he is on the cusp of being a middle-schooler.

I think that is about it for updates save for those additional posts I need to make... ;-)

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. congrats on the real graduation ceremony! I had a feeling you were very busy!! These days it has been a little nutty with one child home and the other one going back and forth. Come june we will have 8 weeks without kids, first time no children home in the summer. Glad you are doing well and bee keeping sounds adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the graduation! Glad to hear that all is well in your corner of the world.

    Blessings on your new adventures

    Karen

    ReplyDelete