Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things..



I was cruising right along with my own toxic socks two weeks ago with little care in the world. I turned the heel, I was almost to that two inch mark before the toe when I suddenly thought this would be the right time to try the sock on. There was certainly a problem when I put it on my foot and I couldn't get it past my heel. And there definitely was a problem when Chase couldn't get it on his foot, either.

The problem is it being a colorway sock pattern. I have knitted socks for myself in the past on size 1 needles and they fit fine. But with those two colors everything becomes tightly knitted together. The cuff part (done in just one color) stretched and fit fine. But from then on down it was too tight for an adult sized foot. So I ripped out. All the way back to the cuff. I spoke with Mom about my situation and she suggested I go up to a size 3 for the rest of the sock.

I've put my own pair of socks on hold for the time being. I am knitting a pair as a gift currently in a different color. I still love this pattern. Once I get past the boring cuff part and can work the pattern, it just seems to fly on by. I'm to the heel turning point on the first gifting sock and eager to pass that crucial point again. I'm seriously considering once I get past the turning heel, I might cast on the cuff for the second sock so I can jump right into the "fun part" once the first sock is done.

Chase has been a very patient model for me in this process. He says the worst part is when I am pulling the sock on his foot and my fingers tickle the bottom of his foot. Apparently, at least according to him, I owe him a pair of socks for his assistance in this. ;) 

My ravelry notes are here.

I finished reading Letters from Skye and absolutely loved it. I haven't started a new book yet. I wrote up a list of books I'd like to read last week and am just waiting until Friday to go pick one up. Besides, things are so unbelievably busy right now at work, I don't have a lot of time to get in a page or two.

Happy Wednesday!


15 comments:

  1. color me impressed - for someone who can only do the knit stitch - your socks are something to be framed and never used less they be ruined! Of course, as a knitter/crocheter, I also know that is the worst thing that can happen - they are meant to be worn!

    Beautiful work! Looking forward to the final product.

    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, how sweet of you! Yes, I definitely want to make sure these socks are well used. I think if I had a choice to walk around in all of my handknits, I would (and I would probably look very silly doing so).

      Delete
  2. I love them! I must have them. I would even knit socks to wear these! And I've just put the book in my to read queue, it sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really a simple pattern. It's amazing how quickly the leg part can be worked up (and I turned the heel this morning before work..onward!).

      I hope you enjoy Letters From Skye!

      Delete
  3. I hope you knit Chase a pair of socks just beacause he's so wonderful.
    I had a little ripping party of my own so I know exactly how you feel. The good thing is you'll have a great pair of socks you can actually wear when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll probably get a pair of socks sometime this year. It will just be another excuse for him to slide across the living room floor. ;)

      I don't mind the ripping so much when it comes to socks since they have to be so fit just so. It's the one problem when knitting for someone else (Chase wears an 11 in mens.. if they fit him, I know they'll fit my cousin).

      Delete
  4. I think the first colorwork project I ever knit was a hat for my father-in-law ... except it turned out to be about the right size for a small child! :) Gauge can be so tricky with stranded knitting. The sock looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorwork really can be finicky! I think the rule of thumb should be bigger is better. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hello

    Found your blog through Yarn Along.
    Your knitting is lovely, a great pattern for a pair of socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Nice socks. I must admit to laughing out loud when I saw them; I might need to knit my brother something like that for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I need to knit only these socks. I would seriously be happy with a few pairs of these.

      Delete
  7. beautiful knitting and design but what a bummer that the sock is small :/ Glad you found out now than later..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun socks, Emily! Too bad about the fit, but you sound very zen about the whole thing. And I think Chase is right about a pair of socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame! I had the exact same thing with a colorwork hat I knitted not long ago. I ended up knitting it three times before it fitted right but now I love it:)

    ReplyDelete