Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wednesday Yarn Along plus a Malabrigo trunk show



My knitting has kind of taken a hit because my summer has been a bit crazy. I have knitted here and there, and while I am sad to admit neither of my shawls will be ready for when I go back to class next week, I have been working on other goodies instead.

Last Friday our LYS held a Malabrigo trunk show! Malabrigo was in the area (my town, actually!) taking pictures for an upcoming yarn/book release. Having never attended a yarn trunk show before, Mom and I felt the need to go and "taste" the yarns.

We each brought home little cakes of two different yarns and instructions to knit garter stitch until it was gone. The shop owner is then going to piece it all together and the result, a lap blanket, is going to be gifted to someone in a local nursing home. How cool is that?!

Of course there were door prizes and gifts for those who purchased the most Malabrigo yarn in a week period. Mom won the 2nd prize (she bought yarn for two sweaters) and I won a door prize, both of which we picked up today when we finished our knitting swatches.



Mom is knitting socks for everyone this year. 

My swatch is the lighter color whereas Mom knit the blue (of course she did!). 

I wish we had gotten the name of the yarns (we forgot both times we were at the yarn shop), but I am sure we can find out the next time we go!

Enough yarn for a shawl and wristers! Mom's prize.

Red yarn? Hello! You know me so well! 

I intended to start reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks long before this week, but again, lots going on. This is a required book for one of my classes this fall so I figured I'd get a jump start on it. So far I'm really enjoying it.





2 comments:

  1. Malabrigo sock yarn is one of my favorite yarns and in red it is even better.
    Sounds like you and your Mom, {Hello!} had a wonderful time, I'm glad.
    My LYS has trunk shows, but they are always held when I have something
    else going on.
    Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. malabrigo! I love that as much as I love madeline tosh :) Happy knitting!!

    ReplyDelete